Fifteen ākonga Māori from across the country have been awarded the prestigious Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships and Awards for 2023, Associate Education Minister and Ngarimu Board Chair, Kelvin Davis announced today.
The recipients include doctoral, masters’ and undergraduate students. Three vocational training students and five wharekura students, all who were celebrated today for their achievements at an award ceremony at Te Papaiouru Marae, Ōhinemutu in Rotorua.
“These scholarships and awards are a tribute to the heroes of the 28th(Māori) Battalion and were established to commemorate second Lieutenant Te Moananui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu, the first Māori to be awarded the Victoria Cross,” Mr Davis said.
The scholarships aim to support the opportunities for Māori students to reach their full potential by reducing some of the financial barriers to study or training.
“All scholarship recipients demonstrate characteristics that align with the values of the 28th (Māori) Battalion and have a desire to give back to their communities and whānau,” Minister Davis said.
More than 200 scholarships have been awarded since the formation of the Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship Fund Board in 1945.
The 2023 Ngarimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarship and award recipients are:
- Varron Armstrong (Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Hine, Ngāti Whātua ki te Kaipara, Ngāti Pōrou)
- Tenaya Brown (Ngāti Porou)
- Victoria Carran (Waikato-Tainui, Ngāti Awa)
- Maia Clark (Ngāti Hāua (Taumarunui), Ngāti Maniapoto)
- Eru Harawira (Tūhoe, Ngai Te Rangi)
- Renay Jones (Ngāti Ira, Ngāi Tamahaua, Ngāti Patumoana)
- Hinerangi Nicholas (Tūhoe, Ngai Te Rangi)
- Anaru Palmer (Ngāi Te Rangi, Ngāti Tamaterā, Waikato, Ngāti Porou)
- Tanekaha Rangi (Tūhoe, Ngāti Tūwharetoa)
- Brigham Riwai-Couch (Ngāi Tahu, Ngāti Kahungunu, Rangitāne ki Wairau, Ngāti Kuia, Ngāti Apa ki te Rā Tō)
- Logan Speight (Ngāti Porou)
- Paretaapua Tipene (Tūhoe, Ngāti Awa)
- Watarawi Te Moana (Tūhoe, Ngāti Awa)
- Julian Wilcox (Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Tūwharetoa, Te Arawa)
- Stuart Savage (Ngāti Kahungunu ki Heretaunga)
For more information about the Ngārimu VC and 28th (Māori) Battalion Memorial Scholarships and awards go to, education.govt.nz/further-education/information-for-tertiary-students/scholarships/ngarimu-scholarships/ and education.govt.nz/school/student-support/scholarships-and-competitions/ngarimu-video-competition/