Thursday, June 13, 2024

$63m boost to cyclone clean-up effort

Emergency Management and Recovery Minister, Mark Mitchell, has today announced a $63 million boost to sediment and cyclone debris removal efforts by councils in Hawke’s Bay and Tairāwhiti. 

“This additional funding means these regions can continue with the job clearing sediment from high priority areas,” says Minister Mitchell.

“It also means work can continue to remove woody debris to prevent any further damage to infrastructure and local communities. 

“Our immediate focus has been to visit regions, talk to affected people and find out what their needs are, and this funding reflects our commitment to ensuring momentum is continued.”

As part of the new funding, $40 million will go to the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council for urgent work to continue to remove sediment and debris in the region – this includes $3 million for debris removal in Wairoa.

“The Hawke’s Bay Silt Recovery Taskforce has done a tremendous job clearing more than 2.5 million tonnes of sediment and debris, as well as more than 140,000 tonnes of woody debris,” the Minister said.

Minister Mitchell and PM Christopher Luxon visited the Hawke’s Bay region yesterday.

“The Gisborne District Council will receive $23.6 million to ensure urgent work will continue for the processing and removal of woody debris across the region.”

Nearly 165,000 tonnes of woody debris has so far been removed from Tairāwhiti.

“This Government is fully committed to the recovery, and we are working with local authorities to identify how we can make it go faster,” says Mr Mitchell.

This brings the Government’s total funding to $232 million for the clean-up of sediment and debris across Hawke’s Bay and Tairāwhiti.

Latest Articles