Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Auckland cyclone clean-up underway

The clean-up is underway after the Auckland region was battered by strong winds at the weekend, caused by the arrival of ex-tropical Cyclone Dovi.

Though the worst of the weather for Tāmaki Makaurau is believed to have passed, Auckland Emergency Management’s Group Controller, Mace Ward says the remnants of the storm may be visible for a while longer.

“Emergency crews and council contractors have been busy responding to reports of downed trees across the region, and Vector teams are working hard to restore power.”

“The council has received more than 150 reports of downed trees so far, and there are currently 12 crews out on the ground responding as a matter of urgency. Due to the large number of callouts, critical incidents such as those that involve cars, homes, or blocked roads, will be attended to first.”

“The rest of the clean-up could take around two weeks to clear, with extra teams from outside the region being brought in to help,” said Mr Ward.

Vector reported that, at the worst point, nearly 50,000 Aucklanders were without power for a brief time during the day. The high volume of outages and the location in rural areas, which can be harder to access, mean restoration in some places may take a few days. 

The heavy winds have also impacted some of Auckland’s roads and public transport services, and Aucklanders are being urged to check Auckland Transport and Waka Kotahi’s social media channels for updates before they travel.

The Auckland Harbour Bridge has reopened with speed restrictions in place but with residual congestion on SH18, Waka Kotahi is urging motorists to continue to take extra care and be patient while traffic flows return to normal.

To report a downed tree on public land, please call Auckland Council on 09 301 0101 or use the Report a Problem online tool.

To report a power outage, please go to Vector.co.nz/outages or call 0508 832 867

Latest Articles