Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Australia imposes sanctions against trio over MH17 downing

CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA

The Australian Government has imposed targeted financial sanctions and travel bans on three persons involved in the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17.

Minister for Foreign Affairs, Senator Penny Wong said Australia had been working closely with the Netherlands and European Union to coordinate sanctions on those who were convicted by the District Court of The Hague in November 2022 for their contribution to the downing of Flight MH17 and the murder of all 298 individuals on board.

“Today’s sanctions target Sergey Dubinskiy and Leonid Kharchenko, who were both found guilty by the District Court of The Hague. The third convicted perpetrator Igor Girkin, was sanctioned by Australia in 2014 for supporting separatist activity in eastern Ukraine,” said Senator Wong.

Australia has also sanctioned Sergey Muchkaev, a Colonel with the Russian Armed Forces who in July 2014 was the Commander of the 53rd Anti-Aircraft Missile Brigade, which supplied the Buk-TELAR that downed Flight MH17.

As either separatist leaders within the so-called ‘People’s Republic of Donetsk’ at the time of the downing of Flight MH17, or a member of the Russian Armed Forces, the three people sanctioned today actively supported actions and policies that threatened the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, said Senator Wong.

“These sanctions demonstrate the Australian Government’s ongoing commitment to hold to account those responsible for the downing of Flight MH17.”

“Working closely with our partners, in particular the Netherlands, Australia is steadfast in our commitment to seek truth, justice and accountability for the victims of the downing of Flight MH17. We continue to pursue all avenues available to us.

“Our thoughts remain with those who lost their lives, their families and loved ones,” she said.

Latest Articles