Saturday, April 13, 2024

Brierley surrenders knighthood

Disgraced 84-year-old millionaire, Ron Brierley, has written to the Clerk of the Executive Council to tender his resignation as a Knight Bachelor.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed today that the Queen had been informed.

The forfeiture follows the Prime Minister initiating the process to remove his Knighthood.

The Clerk of the Executive Council wrote to Brierley on 6 April on behalf of the Prime Minister, giving him 30 days in which to provide any information that he considered relevant before the Prime Minister made her decision.

Ron Brierley may no longer use the title ‘Sir’, and has been asked to return his insignia.

In an Australian court last month, Brierley pleaded guilty to three charges of possession child sexual abuse material. He faces up to 10 years in prison when sentenced.

Ms Ardern today said that if Brierley had not voluntarily relinquished the title, it would have been stripped from him.

Brierley was knighted for services to business in 1988.

“I think it’s a sad day for the children of New Zealand and, indeed, the world when someone is found guilty of possessing such horrendous images,” Ms Ardern said.

Latest Articles