Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Buller council praises infrastructure team

Buller District Council has praised its Infrastructure Services team after it posted an excellent delivery result for the 2020/21 annual plan period.

Council says that from an approved budget of $21.96 million for both operational and capital expenditure, the end of financial year delivery concluded at $20.55 million, or 94%.

While it is the same result as the previous year in terms of percentage, it also reflects $7.29 million of additional service on the 2019/20 total of $13.26 million, which was impacted by COVID-19.

Council says it is also the third year in succession that the delivery target of between 90% and 100% has been achieved. This KPI is in place to reflect the mutual objectives of maximising service level output, but not overspending the approved budget, Council said.

Reporting their delivery performance to next week’s council meeting, Group Manager Infrastructure Services, Mike Duff said it was a great outcome for the council staff and contractors.

“There are always plenty of issues to overcome, but we know our job is to deliver. We coordinate large maintenance contracts, major asset renewal programmes and more recently large capital projects. All this combines to a substantial work plan, and the team have done very well to achieve this result,” Mr Duff said.

Infrastructure Services includes the key portfolios of Land Transport, Three Waters, Solid Waste and District Revitalisation. Approximately 40% of the $21.96 million programme for 2020/21 was ratepayer funded, with the remaining 60% being external contributions from central Government and partner agencies, including PDU, DIA and NZTA.

Infrastructure planning and the newly established project management office support the delivery team to ensure asset condition and service levels continue to improve for customers, Council said.

“Our business as usual work of road and footpath reseals, reticulation renewals and waste services were complemented by key projects including the Hector landfill seawall and the Nile River Suspension bridge, both great assets to now have completed.”

“Our district now faces many new challenges including the post-flood rebuild programme, and we will continue working hard to maximise every opportunity. The goal remains to provide fit-for-purpose infrastructure at the lowest cost to ratepayers each and every year,” Mr Duff said.

Latest Articles