Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Cabinet agrees to $1m boost to flood recovery

The Government has announced a further $1 million to the Mayoral Relief Fund to help flooded communities in Auckland.

Minister for Emergency Management, Kieran McAnulty said Cabinet wanted to be proactive and get ahead of any formal application from the Council.

“Cabinet today agreed that, given the severity of the event, a further $1 million contribution be made,” he said.

“This is the most significant contribution to a Mayoral Relief Fund ever and ensures that funding is being provided to the affected communities as quickly as possible.”

Financial contributions to councils’ MRFs are typically made in the immediate aftermath of an emergency with the expectation that the local authority distributes funding to the community as it sees fit. The previous highest was $300,000, given to Nelson last year.

“I anticipate this will be welcome support to the numerous community-run centres across the city, as this could assist them in their support of their communities,” said Mr McAnulty.

The fund will be administered by Auckland Council to provide support in dealing with provision of essential needs and the clean up of damaged properties in areas where support is not otherwise available.

“Mayoral Relief Funds help communities bounce back after an emergency. Local communities and councils understand where the immediate needs are and how to help whānau, community organisations and marae,” the Minister said.

“The local community knows the needs best and it’s only appropriate they determine how best to apply these funds.

“The focus at the moment, for all those involved, is on continuing to respond to the emergency event. Central government continues to be available to support the local response teams as needed,” the Minister said.

Latest Articles