Tuesday, June 15, 2021

New $110m spinal unit for Manukau Health super-clinic

A new $110 million Spinal Unit and Adult Rehabilitation Unit in Auckland has received the initial funding go-ahead from the Government.

The new, purpose-built facility will replace the existing Auckland Spinal Rehabilitation Unit at Ōtara and the General Rehabilitation Service in the Colvin Complex at Middlemore Hospital, and will form part of the $229.4 million Manukau Health Park super-clinic redevelopment.

Minister of Health, Andrew Little visited Ōtara Spinal Unit today to announce the Government’s funding, subject to an approved business case.

“The patients coming into this facility have experienced a life-changing event,” Mr Little said.

“Quality, modern and fit-for-purpose facilities are absolutely crucial for them and for the specialised staff who care for them.”

The Minister said the new unit would provide high-quality, integrated services for patients from the top half of the North Island.

He said making the new facility part of the $229.4 million Manukau super-clinic meant community rehabilitation teams could work together in the same place, providing physical and vocational therapy.

Other services at the super-clinic will include four new theatres, more than 30 new clinical outpatient spaces, a new radiology hub, an integrated breast-care service and an expanded renal dialysis service.

“This is the kind of thing we need to do across the country – make sure services are working together for the good of patients,” Minister Little said.

“We have a vision of excellence for our health system. We want to ensure consistent, high- quality care is available when people need it, no matter where they live, and we want to harness leadership, innovation and new technologies to the benefit of the whole population.

“That’s what the reform of the health system I announced last week is all about.”

The Government is providing $216.4 million of the $229.4 million cost of the cost of the Manukau Health Park project.

Latest Articles

Government to make formal apology for Dawn Raids

The Government has announced it will make a formal apology for the wrongs committed during the Dawn Raids of the 1970’s.

Farewell to sports administrator and philanthropist Sir Eion Edgar

Sport and Recreation Minister, Grant Robertson, today expressed his sorrow at the passing of Sir Eion Edgar (pictured) – a leading sports...

Double take for Hamilton road safety campaign

A city-wide educational campaign encouraging Hamiltonians to do a double take when approaching intersections is set to launch this month.

NIWA figures show 1-in-200 year flood for Canterbury

Preliminary analysis by NIWA climate scientists has shown that the recent Canterbury rainfall was so extreme in some inland spots that it...

DOC says be quick for Great Walks

The Department of Conservation (DOC) is advising the public to be prepared to secure their place on a Great Walk when bookings...
X