Tuesday, April 23, 2024

New Blenheim case has Te Awamutu connections

The Ministry of Health has confirmed a case of COVID-19 is isolating in Blenheim, in the north east of the South Island.

It comes after the individual returned a positive COVID-19 test result late last night.

“The individual flew from Rotorua and arrived in Blenheim on 21 October. The individual sought a test upon arrival after developing a sore throat. The initial test, including a follow-up swab, returned a weak positive result,” the Ministry said in a statement today.

“The current public health assessment is that the risk appears low given the individual’s likely late stage of infection.”

So far, initial case interviews have identified a small number of close contacts, who have been contacted and are currently isolating with tests arranged, the Ministry said.

Interviews are also being undertaken to determine any locations of interest. People living in the Blenheim township are asked to monitor the Ministry of Health’s locations of interest page.

The Ministry is also asking Blenheim residents with symptoms – no matter how mild – to please get tested, even if they are vaccinated.

“Investigations into the source of the infection are underway. However, initial case interviews suggest the case is linked to the Te Awamutu cluster.”

Testing is available at:

Blenheim CBAC: Horton Park, off Redwood St – Open 9am to 5.30pm on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday

Nelson CBAC: Saxton Field parking area, Suffolk Rd, Stoke – Open 10am to 6pm on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday

Additional testing capacity in the area will be stood up, if needed, and details will be available on the Healthpoint website.

Latest Articles