Sunday, June 23, 2024

New case reclassified to ‘under investigation’

There are no new cases of COVID-19 to report in New Zealand today.

In a statement, the Ministry of Health advised that one previously reported case had now recovered and confirmed that yesterday’s case in managed isolation had been reclassified to ‘under investigation’ as a possible historical case.

“We sometimes refer to cases as being under investigation when we are waiting on repeat PCR and or serology results. If they are reclassified as historical, we will also be  determining whether they may have already been counted overseas,” said Director-General of Health, Dr Ashley Bloomfield.

“Our approach is that these cases stay under investigation until we can confirm their status.”

The total number of active cases in New Zealand remains at 69.

Update on border-related cases

The Ministry said all test results of close contacts of NZ’s border-related cases were negative.

“Of the 349 people who departed the managed isolation facility at the Pullman Hotel between 9 January and 24 January, 340 have returned negative test results, and we are waiting for the results of five people,” it said.

“In addition, the remaining four people (to make up to the 349 number) include the two previously reported confirmed border-related cases and two children who are exempt from testing.

“The total number of 349 is down from the 353 we reported last week. That’s because we’ve identified a small number of people who fell outside the requirements for needing a test. Two people went overseas and have been referred to their country’s health authority and a further two left the facility before the source case arrived.”

Latest Articles