Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Temporary housing service activated for Nelson and Marlborough

The Government’s Temporary Accommodation Service (TAS) has been activated to support residents displaced by severe flooding and landslips in Nelson Tasman and Marlborough regions.

Housing Minister Megan Woods said TAS is now accepting registrations from those who cannot return to their homes and need assistance finding temporary accommodation.

“TAS is working closely with local authorities in the Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough regions to assess the damage, establish how many homes have been affected, and to scope the longer term need,” the Minister said.

“We expect to have a fuller picture in the coming weeks as more people register with our services.

“The TAS team will work with everyone who’s been affected to find available accommodation and I urge anyone who needs their help to register their details.”

Minister Woods said 21 households had registered so far.

“In the past the service proved very successful in the Christchurch and Kaikōura earthquakes and in the Napier and Westport floods. The level of damage and displacement indicates that TAS support is needed in the Nelson Tasman and Marlborough regions,” she said.

Latest Articles