Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Victorian travel pause extended as Melbourne case cluster nears 30

The pause in New Zealand’s Quarantine Free Travel with Victoria will be extended until 7.59pm on Friday, 4 June after an increase in cases in Melbourne, COVID-19 Response Minister, Chris Hipkins has announced.

Victoria has put in place a seven-day lockdown from 11.59pm tonight with local residents now required to stay home following confirmation of 26 cases of COVID-19, increasing exposure sites and a large and growing number of close contacts.

“The pause extension is based on the public health risk assessment to further protect New Zealanders. Our public health staff remain in close contact with Victorian authorities about the actions being taken in Melbourne,” Mr Hipkins said.

In Australia, the 14-day travel restrictions for those who have visited locations of interest means they are ineligible to travel to New Zealand within 14 days from exposure – even with a negative COVID-19 test.

In addition to the extension, the Ministry of Health is updating advice for those who have been in Melbourne recently.

“The Ministry of Health has previously contacted everyone who has returned to New Zealand from Melbourne since 11 May and provided advice on checking locations of interest and the actions required,” the Minister said.

The Director-General of Health is now requiring everyone who has visited the Greater Melbourne area since 20 May to isolate at their place of residence until they receive a negative COVID-19 test result. 

“This is an additional cautious step. The number of locations of interest around Melbourne has grown substantially, making it difficult for visitors to easily keep track.”

“A Section 70 notice is being issued under the Health Act putting this in force,” Mr Hipkins said.

The Ministry of Health is in the process of contacting all those who have visited Melbourne since 20 May to inform them of the new restrictions.

Latest Articles

Government to make formal apology for Dawn Raids

The Government has announced it will make a formal apology for the wrongs committed during the Dawn Raids of the 1970’s.

Farewell to sports administrator and philanthropist Sir Eion Edgar

Sport and Recreation Minister, Grant Robertson, today expressed his sorrow at the passing of Sir Eion Edgar (pictured) – a leading sports...

Double take for Hamilton road safety campaign

A city-wide educational campaign encouraging Hamiltonians to do a double take when approaching intersections is set to launch this month.

NIWA figures show 1-in-200 year flood for Canterbury

Preliminary analysis by NIWA climate scientists has shown that the recent Canterbury rainfall was so extreme in some inland spots that it...

DOC says be quick for Great Walks

The Department of Conservation (DOC) is advising the public to be prepared to secure their place on a Great Walk when bookings...
X