Friday, August 29, 2025

Waikato council acknowledges passing of election nominee

Waikato Regional Council has acknowledged the recent passing of Maxine Moana-Tuwhangai, a respected nominee for the Ngā Hau e Whā Māori constituency election.

Ms Moana-Tuwhangai passed away on Saturday, 16 August. The Council says electoral officials have since worked closely and respectfully with her whānau and nominators to formally withdraw her nomination, in accordance with section 71 of the Local Electoral Act 2001.

As a result of this withdrawal, Tipa Mahuta, the remaining candidate, has been elected unopposed, and no election will take place for the Ngā Hau e Whā Māori constituency, the Council confirmed in a statement.

“Voting documents had already been printed prior to the withdrawal and, due to time constraints, cannot be reprinted. Voters in the Ngā Hau e Whā Māori Constituency will still receive voting packs showing both candidates’ names. However, these are no longer valid for voting in this constituency,” it stated.

Council Chief Executive, Chris McLay extended his heartfelt condolences to the whānau of Ms Moana-Tuwhangai.

“We are deeply saddened by Maxine’s passing. She made a significant contribution to the community, and her legacy will be remembered with great respect,” he said.

The Hapai Te Hauora – Maori Public Health team joined hundreds of others at Mōkai Kāinga Marae in Kāwhia last week to honour the life of Ms Moana-Tuwhangai, who served on the Hāpai Board for nearly a decade as a representative for Raukura Hauora o Tainui.

“Maxine was an astute Board member, contributing insight to robust discussions and kōrero on how best to serve our communities,” the team said in a statement.

Latest Articles