Wellington City Council building and environmental health officers have been onsite at the Loafers Lodge fire scene since early today and are currently assisting FENZ and Police, Council announced this afternoon.
The Council says the Loafers Lodge has a Building Warrant of Fitness, which was issued in March this year.
“There were no concerns raised by the independently qualified person who inspected and tested the life safety systems in the building,” the Council stated.
Council says it has contacted the building owners to offer any assistance they may need.
The Council also has a Building Compliance team working with FENZ and MBIE to provide them with information on the building. The Council will work with appropriate authorities on any investigations, it said.
“Significant support has been in place between the City Council’s welfare team and other agencies to care for about 50 displaced people and manage their welfare. This is an interagency task and support includes food, clothing, showers etc.”
“The team is also working to provide temporary accommodation for people who need it,” Council said.
It said the roof of Loafers Lodge contained some asbestos material and small pieces of the cement containing asbestos fibres were present in the area immediately surrounding the damaged building.
“This material will be kept damp until removed preventing asbestos fibres being released into the air. Asbestos fibres are not considered a health risk unless they are present in the air.”
Council says the contamination risk to neighbouring properties from the site is low; however, here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk further:
- Where possible, keep windows and doors closed.
- If there is dust or debris around your property, remove shoes before entering your house.
- Clean any dust on surfaces, shoes etc. using a damp disposable cloth.
Adelaide Road remains closed to through traffic in the vicinity of the fire. Alternate transport routes remain in place and traffic is significant in this area of the city (Newtown/Adelaide Rd).
The following closures will remain in place until tomorrow.
- Adelaide Rd\Hall north bound closed residents only.
- John St between Hanson St and Adelaide Rd – north bound and south bound buses are being guided through.
- Riddiford St\Hall St north bound closed residents and Emergency services only.
- Adelaide Rd\Rugby St residents, Emergency services and hospital workers to Hospital Rd only.
- Adelaide Rd\Drummond St residents, Emergency services and hospital workers to Hospital Rd only.